Help with criminal law problems
Legal Aid duty counsel
Usually the starting point for assistance in a criminal law matter is to speak with duty counsel at your first appearance Legal Aid Ontario provides free duty counsel. They can assist with guilty pleas, bail and setting dates. On your first appearance, duty counsel can get a copy of the Crown’s information and discuss your options with you.
You can also phone Legal Aid Ontario for advice: 1-800-668-8258. They can talk to you about how to apply for a certificate to get legal help.
Legal Aid assistance
You can apply to Legal Aid Ontario for a “certificate”, meaning that Legal Aid will pay the cost, or some of the cost, of your lawyer.
Apply by phone: 1-800-668-8258
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Interpreters available in over 200 languages.
- Also services for the deaf or hard of hearing.
- You will be asked about legal issue and finances.
- If on social assistance: say so at the start.
- Mention any upcoming hearing dates.